"We are all crucified"

I have made crucifixion’s at the expense of being modern!

I just finished “My Name is Asher Lev” and was struck with its utilization of the Crucifix as the culminating conflict in the central axis of the book. I paraphrase Potok as he writes about painting a crucifixion, “For all the pain you suffered, for all the torment of your past and future, for all the anguish … For (God) whose suffering world I do not comprehend, for the love I have, for all the things I should have remembered but have forgotten, because the crucifixion is the aesthetic mould into which you can pour a paintings ultimate anguish and torment.”



It is this why I draw crucifixion's. Potok reminds me of a quote from Sherwood Anderson that has stuck with me “Everyone in the world is Christ and they are all crucified.” In this sense we can all identify with the image of Jesus nailed to the cross.



Or from another perspective Kundera refers to the idea of “Eternal return” in his “Unbearable Lightness of Being” when referring to life lived as light and heavy. Picking up on the existentialist notion that we should act as if everyone should do as we do Kundera discusses how heavy an existence this notion presupposes. Borges reiterates this idea when he says: “What one man does is something done, in some measure, by all men.” He continues, “For that reason a disobedience committed in a garden contaminates the human race, for that reason it is not unjust that the crucifixion of a single Jew suffices to save it.”

List of slides:
"Borges and Fumes" etching
"West coast crucifixion" etching
"Millennium #1" etching
"Jesus of London" etching
"Untitled" etching
"Crucifixion" etching
"Man and Cross" oil on canvas


No comments: